New Mexico Department of Agriculture, Organic Program
2604 Aztec Road NE
Albuquerque NM 87107
OFFICE: (505) 361-2840
FAX: (505) 508-1016
January 15, 2021
Dear NMDA Certified Organic Operations:
The New Mexico Department of Agriculture is once again dedicating staff to support and promote New Mexico organic products. In doing so, we are transitioning our service from inspection and certification to organic education, marketing and development.
We have notified the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) National Organic Program (NOP) that we are surrendering the NMDA Organic Program’s Certification of Accreditation, effective March 31, 2021. The NMDA Organic Program will assist operations who wish to continue their certification with another Accredited Certification Agency (ACA) in the state. Our team is available to you and will assist you throughout this transition.
Please note the following regarding certification:
- All certified operations must inform NMDA (firstname.lastname@example.org) within 60 days of the date of this notice whether they have applied with a new certifier or are surrendering their certification. An operation applying for certification with another certifier must also provide the name of the certifier and the date of application.
- If your operation does not inform NMDA that it has applied for certification with another certifier or is surrendering certification within 60 days of the date of this notice, NMDA will issue a notification of noncompliance, which may lead to suspension or revocation of your operation’s certification.
- Your current certification is valid until surrendered, suspended or revoked.
- Operations listed as certified by NMDA in the Organic Integrity Database will appear as “[—] Transitioning to New Certifier” after March 31, 2021.You should maintain your current certification until you have been granted certification by a new certifying agent.
- Certified operations that change certifying agents will be treated as new applicants by the new certifying agent.
- Operations that have applied for certification with another certifier may use their existing inventory of labels approved by NMDA identifying NMDA as the certifying agent if the use-up is approved by the new certifier according to the NOP’s instructions for label use-up approval.
- Operations can search for a new certifier by using the Organic Integrity Database Certifier Locator tool at the following link: https://organic.ams.usda.gov/Integrity/Certifiers/CertifiersLocationsSearchPage.aspx
- Operations applying for certification with another certifier must inform the NOP (AIAInbox@USDA.gov) once they have received their new organic certificate.
NMDA Certified Organic operations that transition to a new ACA before March 1, 2021 may claim a refund of their 2020-2021 certification costs through the “Organic Refund Program” with NMDA Business Support Services:
- You must apply to receive reimbursement.
- Deadline for applications is June 1, 2021.
- You may apply for reimbursement for EACH certification (Crop, Processor, Livestock).
Each certification will require a separate application.
- Reimbursement is not to exceed 50% or $500 per scope for 2020-2021 certification costs.
- You MUST have applied for Organic Certification with another ACA in order for your reimbursement application to be processed. Documentation is required.
- The deadline for submitting applications for reimbursement is March 1, 2021.
- You may request an application by emailing: email@example.com.
In addition to assisting you with the certification process and NOP rules, our team looks forward to supporting certified operations through organic education, marketing and development.
We appreciate your continuous support of the NMDA Organic Program, as well as your patience through this transition process. As always, please feel free to reach out with any questions or concerns you may have, or if there is any way we can assist you further.
Your contact at the NMDA Organic Program is:
Lauren Aguirre, Mobile: 575-339-5050, firstname.lastname@example.org
Division Director, NMDA Marketing and Development Division