Welcome to the official website for NMDA’s Healthy Soil Program.
The Healthy Soil Program was created in 2019 following enactment of the Healthy Soil Act, the purpose of which is “to promote and support farming and ranching systems and other forms of land management that increase soil organic matter, aggregate stability, microbiology and water retention to improve the health, yield and profitability of the soils of the state.” We are pleased to announce a second year of grant funding available for soil health improvement projects on farms, ranches, and other agriculturally productive lands in New Mexico.
Please note that there are now two deadlines associated with the Healthy Soil Grants Program. NMDA will not accept applications if they are not submitted on time, in this way:
- The deadline for Individual Applicants (farmers, ranchers, etc.) to submit an application to Eligible Entities is 5:00 p.m. on Monday, August 31, 2020.
- The deadline for Eligible Entities to submit Individual Applicants’ applications (and their own Eligible Entity applications) to NMDA via email@example.com is 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, October 8, 2020.
This new approach invites greater participation from Eligible Entities, since they function as fiscal agents to the Individual Applicants whose projects are selected for funding. Eligible Entities include soil and water conservation districts (SWCDs); nations, tribes, and pueblos; and land grants and acequias.
We’ve made other changes worth noting, each based on feedback offered to NMDA during the Healthy Soil Program’s pilot year. These include:
- A single fillable application to replace last year’s process, which required the applicant to create and submit multiple documents.
- A requirement for the Individual Applicant (farmer, rancher, etc.) to submit proof of his/her relationship to the land on which the project is slated to occur.
- A requirement for the Individual Applicant to submit a conservation plan as part of the application, or to obtain a conservation plan during the term of the grant.
- Clarification on ineligible expenses.
Learn more and apply for a grant to improve soil health on agricultural lands in New Mexico via the following documents:
- Read the press release inviting Healthy Soil Grants Program applications from farmers and ranchers, as well as Eligible Entities, in New Mexico.
- Download the application. Read the instructions carefully prior to completing, saving, and submitting the application per the two-deadline approach detailed above.
- View this infographic to visualize the application process.
- Read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).
- Learn about the soil testing and assessment requirements for projects selected for funding.
- Read the Healthy Soil Act to understand the contours of NMDA’s Healthy Soil Program.
- View this infographic to visualize the different components of the Healthy Soil Act.
If you still have questions after reviewing the materials above, you can reach out to NMDA’s Healthy Soil Program team at (575) 646-2642 or firstname.lastname@example.org.