Private Applicators – Rodenticides Only License

Agricultural producers who need to apply restricted-use pesticides only for the control of rodents have options. They may apply for a Private Pesticide Applicator – Rodenticide Only license.

Private Applicator licenses are for agricultural pesticides and agricultural uses ONLY. A Private Restricted Rodenticide Only (“PRRO”) license allows the licensee to purchase and use restricted use rodenticides. This is for controlling rodents related to producing an agricultural commodity.

How do I get a Private Restricted Rodenticide Only license?

  1. You must download and complete this application form to apply to take the exam.
  2. You must receive a notice of approval from NMDA stating that you are eligible to take the exam.
  3. Once you have received a notice of approval, you will have 30 days to pass the PRRO exam. You must pass with a 70% or better.

You can schedule to take the PRRO exam with your local NMDA Pesticide Inspector.  You may also contact your local USDA –APHIS – Wildlife Services representative. You can call our Las Cruces office at 575-646-2134 to schedule an exam. Alternately, you may schedule at one of NMDA’s Pesticide Compliance Inspectors.

  1. After passing the PRRO exam you must submit your licensing fee of $15.00 to NMDA.


Remember, only persons who are producing agricultural commodities in New Mexico are eligible for a Private Applicator license.

Preparing for the Private Restricted Rodenticide Only exam

The exam covers the following topics:

  • How to use pesticides safely and effectively.
  • Reading and interpreting labels.
  • Identification, biology, and control of pocket gopher, prairie dogs, kangaroo rats and thirteen-lined ground squirrels.
  • NM Pesticide Control Act & Rules as they apply to Private Applicators.
  • Federal laws that apply to Private Applicators.

The primary study material for private applicators are listed here. There’s the  Private Applicator Rodenticide Study Manual and the National Pesticide Applicator Certification CORE manual. Please contact NMDA at 575-646-2134, refer to our Study Materials page, or contact your USDA –APHIS – Wildlife Services representative.

Private Applicator licenses are good for five years. Before the expiration date you’ll receive a license renewal form in the mail. You may be eligible to renew your license if you attended workshops and courses. These must have earned you at least 5 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) during the five-year license period. Sign the license renewal form and mail it with the fee to NMDA. You must earn your CEUs AND renew your license by mailing back your renewal form and fee. If you don’t, you must take the exam again. Upcoming CEU workshops are posted here.

Our website has changed! Visit for the most up-to-date information. This website,, will go offline soon.Visit new site here