BEFORE USE, COMPLY WITH STANDARDS ESTABLISHED IN LAW. VERIFY NATIONAL TYPE EVALUATION PROGRAM (NTEP) CERTIFICATE.
All scales used for commercial purposes must meet strict standards for accuracy and customer visibility established in New Mexico Weights and Measures Law. Appropriate and suitable scales must be approved by the New Mexico Department of Agriculture (NMDA), and must bear a National Type Evaluation Program (NTEP) Certificate of Conformance before commercial use. You may view the NTEP information guide on type evaluation.
Selecting the Correct Scale
- Range of weighing (minimum and maximum capacities)
- Division (increment) size
- Precision (i.e. scales that comply with Accuracy Class I & II parameters)
Placing Into Service
- A registered service establishment should be used to install and place the device into commercial service. You can receive a list of registered service establishments by contacting the NMDA Standards and Consumer Services Division at 575-646-1616.
- Legal-for-trade scales will be “inspected, tested and sealed” by the NMDA Standards and Consumer Services Division.
- Precision scales may need to be verified and recalibrated when moved to another location within a production facility or retail establishment.
- Contact the NMDA Standards and Consumer Services Division at 575-646-1616 to request an inspection of a device that has not been placed into commercial service by a registered service company.
Using and Maintaining
- The owner is responsible for ensuring accuracy and proper maintenance of a commercial scale, benefiting all parties involved.
- Scales must be installed and operated according to the manufacturer’s instructions, as well as according to New Mexico laws and regulations.
- Scales must be placed on a solid, level surface.
- Deduct “TARE” (packaging, wrappings, containers, etc.) to determine “NET” weight (NET = GROSS – TARE).
Scales Used for Cannabis Sales
Harvest Weights, Bulk Packaging, Net Weight Verification and Weight Verification for Track and Trace Reporting
Retail packaging, net weight verification and retail sales from bulk
Sales by Weight
A business will need to weigh containers or packages from trimmings, product and dried flowers. These containers and packages will require scales of different capacities and division sizes due to basic suitability requirements. This may include, but is not limited to, packages of buds, flowers, edibles, topical products and shatter.
Scale 1: For 1 lb. net weight packages, a grower may use: 1 kg. x 0.001 kg scale (1000 g x 1 g)
Scale 2: For 1 gram net weight packages, a grower may use: 500 g x 0.01 g scale
Sales by Volume
Cannabis products in liquid form are sold by volume, such as milliliters (ml) and fluid ounces (fl oz). This may include, but is not limited to, oils, tinctures and extracts.
New Mexico Weights and Measures Laws:
Buying Legal-for-Trade Scales:
National Evaluation Program – Certificate Search Database:
Questions? Contact the NMDA Standards and Consumer Services Division at 575-646-1616.