If you’ve been exposed to a pesticide and feel ill, contact your doctor or clinic first. You can also call Poison Help at 1-800-222-1222.

NMDA investigates all allegations of pesticide misuse or other violations of the NM Pesticide Control Act. Anyone may report pesticide exposure or misuse by calling 575-646-2733 or emailing

Basic information is collected when you call, including the site of the complaint, the applicator involved if known, and the nature of the complaint. Your name can be kept confidential if you wish, but you should be available to answer questions during the course of NMDA’s investigation, so you will be asked for your phone number and a mailing address. NMDA will accept anonymous complaints but cannot guarantee that anonymity can be maintained. If you don’t want to give any contact information, NMDA will still investigate and follow up to the best of our ability.

NMDA’s authority covers the use of pesticides. We cannot enforce warranties or other promises made by an applicator; force an applicator to pay damages, refund your money, or make repairs or other compensations; take an action against a company for bad business practices; or similar resolutions.

The Investigation

Once a complaint is determined to lie within NMDA’s jurisdiction an investigator will be assigned to the case. The investigator will contact you to schedule a meeting, usually at the site of the complaint, and collect more information and evidence. They may collect samples, including photographs, documents, swab samples from treated or exposed surfaces, etc. They will visit the other parties as well and collect statements and other information from multiple sources as appropriate. Their report will be forwarded to the Enforcement Program Manager for evaluation and a decision on enforcement action.

Enforcement Actions

NMDA will pursue enforcement action against proven violators. Under the Pesticide Control Act NMDA has authority to take actions that include warnings, license revocations or suspensions, or filing a criminal complaint. NMDA may also refer cases to other agencies who may have jurisdiction, including the Environmental Protection Agency, the United States Department of Agriculture, or the New Mexico Environment Department.

Other Information and Contacts

Poison Help

National Pesticide Information Center

US Environmental Protection Agency

New Mexico Environment Department


Additional Programs Poison Help Pesticide Information Contact Pesticides
Integrated Pest Management
Protecting Water & Endangered Species
Poison Help 8002221222
fax 575-646-1540
Print This Page Print This Page