- New Mexico Department of Agriculture - http://www.nmda.nmsu.edu -

Pet Food and Specialty Pet Food


In order for pet food or specialty pet food to be distributed in New Mexico it must first be registered with the New Mexico Department of Agriculture’s – Feed, Seed & Fertilizer Section.

Pet food includes pet treats, biscuits, training foods, sample sizes as well as the more traditional pet foods. Raw meat pet food diets are exempt only if the meat is not ground and not mixed with other ingredients.

Manufacturers or distributors must register the product by submitting an Application for Registration of Commercial Feed, a copy of the product label, and the registration fee. New Mexico registers individual products verses licensing companies. All labels are approved according to the guidelines set forth in the New Mexico Commercial Feed Act.


Any commercial feed (including pet food & specialty food) distributed in New Mexico, except a customer-formula feed, shall be accompanied by a legible label bearing the following information:

New Mexico follows the definitions for feed ingredients set forth by the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO).



Companies must notify the Feed, Seed & Fertilizer Section of all changes made to company names, telephone numbers, contact information and label revisions.

Revised labels will need to be submitted to the section along with a Label Revision Form and the new label. Please write the New Mexico product identification number on each submitted label in the upper right hand corner.

Provided below are additional links to resources and as always, the staff of the Feed, Seed and Fertilizer Section is available to help with any questions that may arise during the registration or revision process.


Pet Food Registration Information [2]

Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) [3]

AAFCO “The Business of Pet Food [4]

Pet Food Institute [5]

Pet Food Recall Information [6]