FAQs regarding when hemp growing may begin

FAQs Regarding when individuals and businesses may begin to grow hemp

 Q. Now that New Mexico’s Secretary/Director of Agriculture and New Mexico State University Board of Regents have approved the Hemp Cultivation Rule, is it legal to grow hemp in New Mexico?

A. As of Nov. 29, 2018, the answer is no. There is one additional state-required procedural step and several New Mexico Department of Agriculture requirements to be fulfilled before growers can begin planting, propagating or possessing viable hemp plants. NMDA is expecting to meet procedural and department requirements between Dec. 15, 2018 and Jan. 1, 2019.

Q. Once state and NMDA requirements are fulfilled, can growers start growing hemp?

A. Those businesses and individuals interested in growing hemp will have to have a valid NMDA Hemp Production License before propagating or growing hemp. NMDA is expecting to have hemp production applications available online between Dec. 15, 2018 and Jan. 1, 2019.

Q. How will I know when Hemp Production applications will be available?

A. Keep checking the NMDA web page. There will be a link on the home page to direct you to the application process.

Print This Page Print This Page