(LAS CRUCES, N.M.) – If you’ve hosted one, you know: the most important part of any holiday gathering, aside from having friends and family present, is what food and drink to serve.
In an effort to encourage people to buy New Mexico-grown and New Mexico-made foods and beverages, New Mexico Department of Agriculture (NMDA) is sponsoring a contest that will reward each of four winners with a “Party in a Bag” containing local foods, drinks, and other goodies to make for a great holiday spread.
Here’s how it works: buy at least $20 worth of local food and beverage and submit the corresponding receipt (redacting any personal financial information) to NMDA. Every $20 of local food and beverage purchased qualifies you for an entry. Contest participants can be entered yet again if they snap a photo of the local food and drink they bought and post it to NMDA’s Facebook page.
“Local foods and beverages can really accentuate the more traditional holiday spreads,” said NMDA marketing specialist Felicia Frost, who came up with the contest idea. “New Mexico companies produce everything to make a great meal: meat, cheese, appetizers such as dips and salsas, soups, desserts, wines, drink mixes, and more.”
Frost advises shoppers to examine the labels of the foods and drinks they buy to know for sure if they were produced in New Mexico; the back of the label will spell out where the product was packaged. Furthermore, many local foods and beverages often bear the NEW MEXICO – Taste the Tradition logo, which NMDA created in 2000 to help shoppers identify locally made foods.
Each “Party in a Bag” is valued at approximately $75. Four bags will be awarded: one before Thanksgiving, one before Christmas, one before New Year’s Eve, and the last one before Valentine’s Day.
In order to submit an entry into the drawing for one of four “Party in a Bag” prizes, you must:
- Purchase a minimum of $20 in New Mexico Specialty Food products from any retail store (online included) and send a copy of your itemized receipt along with your name and telephone number to email@example.com. Please black out any personal financial information on your receipt.
- For each $20 worth of product you will receive one entry into the contest.
- In addition to e-mailing a copy of your receipt, you may also snap a picture of yourself with the New Mexico products you purchased and post it to the NMDA Facebook page. Once NMDA receives a copy of your receipt and your photo posts to the NMDA Facebook page, you will receive an additional entry into the drawing.
- Anyone, including out-of-state consumers, making a valid purchase is eligible to win.
- The drawings will take place before Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s Eve, and Valentine’s Day.
- Each winning entry will be drawn at random by the NMDA Marketing and Development staff.
- NMDA will attempt to contact each winner by phone and by e-mail. If the winner is not reached or does not respond within one week, another name will be drawn.
- The names of the winners will be posted online on the www.newmexicotradition.com website the day of the drawing.
- Each “Party in a Bag” will either by hand delivered or mailed directly to the winners.
- The contents of each prize bag will vary. Approximate value of each bag is $75 plus shipping.